History

Frogmore in Devon is a small village situated on the main road between Kingsbridge and Dartmouth, in the heart of the South Hams region.  It lies at the head of Frogmore Creek, which is part of Salcombe’s estuary, and once had quite an active commercial life.  It is an area of outstanding Natural Beauty and part of it lies in a Coastal Preservation Area, within an area of Special Scientific Interest.

Around 1826 John Trant owned and occupied Kings Tenement and the property was called the Globe. By 1833, it was an unlicensed beer house, with The Globe named as a Public House. John Trant’s wife took over in 1854 after his death, and their daughter Caroline was the licensed Victualler from 1857 (when we became The Globe Inn and was licensed to sell beer) until 1878.

In 1853 the turnpike road from Dartmouth to Kingsbridge opened, increasing passing trade. The only other pub was the Bridge Inn which closed around 1875.

Charles Marks-Stoneman became owner and landlord in 1883.  In 1891, Michael Arundell was the innkeeper, in 1893 William Cook, and in 1902 Henry Stone. Henry died that year and the pub was run by his widow, Elizabeth (who died in 1931) and their sons, Eldred and Thomas.  They and their father worked in the Frogmore Malthouse.  A ‘Plymouth Company’ bought the Globe Inn in 1910 when Thomas took over the Globe in 1914, and Thomas Cross in 1919.

In 1920, William John Hanna bought the Globe, and by 1930, Mrs. S. Hanna owned it with Albert William Stanley Wakeham as the licensed Victualler. In 1930, he bought the Globe and was landlord until 1967. 

History

    

In 1882 the cottage next to the Globe, also part of the Kings Tenement, was owned by William Kelland.  In 1892, he transferred to John Kelland, who left it in 1903 to his son Arthur William, brewer, and his widow Lucy, to sell and divide the proceeds. They sold to Rose Flora Clark Stoneman (wife of Edward, grocer) for £150 and at that time it was occupied by William Partrige.

In 1945 Mrs Stoneman died intestate, and administration was granted to Edward. Mr J. Putt was the tenant at the time – he did the “posting”, his round being South Pool and Prawle which he walked. Edward Stoneman died in 1947, leaving the cottage to his son, Charles. He sold it to Albert William Stanley Wakeham, and this combined building now makes up the Globe Inn. In March 1967 Albert died; his sons Albert and William sold the Globe to William Edward Ryder of the Solcombe Hotel. The cottage was tenanted by Miss Sylvia Putt, who also went “posting”. The Globe then changed hands eight times before the present incumbents (John and Linda Horsley) took over in January 2000.  They gave it a major internal refurbishment in 2006/7 which included rebuilding all the guest accommodation, a new bar and dining area and much else besides.

There are a number of reports of people seeing a friendly male ghost, though since the latest refurbishment he has not been seen.